CREATING A FLAG
In this web quest your child will use their knowledge of shapes to
describe 2 flags of their choice, as well as create and describe a flag
of their own.
- Together, read the Introduction to the Student page. Discuss the
questions presented. Some flags you could discuss are; the pirate
flag, peace flag, and the white flag.
- Visit 1 or 2 of the following websites which show a wide array of
flags of the world:
of All Countries
of the World
You may also want to have your child do his or her own web search
as flag-related websites are quite numerous and easy to find.
- Browse the collections of flags. Have your child choose 2 of his
or her favourites. Before choosing, remind your child that he or she
must be able to describe the flags using math language.
- Have your child print a copy of each flag. Have him or her describe
the flags using math language.
- Discuss with your child what story he or she wants his or her flag
- Have your child design his or her flag. Review the rules before
- Orally or in writing, have your child describe his or her flag.
His or her description should include:
a) the story it tells;
b) an explanation of his or her choices of images;
c) identification and description of shapes using math language.
Your child should be familiar with the following vocabulary: parallelogram,
symmetry, lines of symmetry, congruent, vertices, vertex, parallel,